Saturday 27 April 2019

A Few of My Favourite (Writing) Things


Compiled from a grimoire grocery list of plot powders, worldbuilding extracts, and eye of newt, here are a few of the ingredients that combine to form my sense of poetics.

My Favourite Things - Photo by Ellie Morris


Ivy on tombstones
And carvings on trees,
Ghosts in the attic and dolls left unseen,
Old love letters stuffed in bedsprings,
These are a few of my favourite things.

Schoolgirls in love that meet in discretion,
Teeth-gnashing, jaw-clenching,
Fright and depression.
Siblings that bicker, twins in despair,
These are the things that you’ll find in my lair.

Homes left to rot and dangers that loom,
Nightmares from dreams,
And creatures from tombs.
Secrets, dysfunction, conflict, and strife,
These are the scribblings that take over my life.

When the block hits,
When the fog comes,
When I’m out of luck,
I simply remember these writerly things,

And then I don’t feel so stuck.*

*Disclaimer: This is obviously a silly parody of The Sound of Music's 'My Favourite Things' lyrics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Beautifully Chaotic