Saturday 16 February 2019

Why Write? A Manifesto of Sorts

Welcome to my new blog! This blog will mostly be focused around the reading and creative writing I do at university, however I will also use this space for my reviews and other things too.
Basically, it is an extension of my other blog, Ellie Morris Books (or Nocturne des Anges), which I haven't touched for a while, having had a blogging kind of creative block. Let's hope that my inspiration will come rushing back!


Books I collect - Photo by Ellie Morris

Manifesto
Here are my aims for 2019 and the future:
1. Develop a strong sense of my own poetics.
2. Gain knowledge of and experience other types of writing, such as poetry and scriptwriting. These can feed into my fiction writing, and vice versa. Scriptwriting always seemed intimidating to me before coming to university, so I'm glad to be learning it with the rest of my class!
3. Try out new genres and styles of writing. Before now I never thought I'd be writing a narrative gamebook, or enjoy reading speculative fiction.
4. Take more feedback on board and apply it to my work so that I can make it the best I can.
5. Meet more writers, see what inspires them, and have some opportunities to work collaboratively.
6. Experience the publishing industry. I have self-published before, but I want to try out the more traditional approach to getting my work out there. 

So, why do I write? 
I write because I have so many daydreams that fill my head at all times. I write because I love to read. I write the kind of stories I'd like to read. I write the things I don't want to forget. I write because it's a comfort, something I've always done. I write because I'm lonely. I write because it's fun. I write because it's easier for me to write than it is to speak. I write because I love making up worlds and characters. I write because I want to share my thoughts with others. I write because I feel like it's something I'm skilled at.

History
I first started writing proper stories when I was fourteen, six years ago. Before that I had dabbled in short stories and poetry but never really carried it on due to school being busy. At this age I didn't really have much to do, since I was sick constantly and spent a lot of time at home. I started reading more and found myself very interested in Stephen King. He is still a great inspiration to me.

One book in particular made me want to write. It was a long and heavy book with a whole laundry list of characters, many of which didn't add much to the plot. A very interesting character was introduced in one chapter and was killed off within ten or so pages, which frustrated me enough to write a 40,000 word story for him myself. In other words, I started off with fanfiction. From there, I was hooked.

Since 2013 I have written one novel and one novella, at a total of over 200,000 words. Currently I have a third novel in the works and am studying Creative Writing at university.
Being on this writing course has really boosted my confidence in sharing my work with others, as well as allowed me to see the areas in which my writing needs improvement. Before starting university I was very touchy about other people reading my work, but now I don't think twice about it!



P.S. If anybody is curious about the name of my new blog, it's a play on a character's name from the Jeeves books by P.G. Wodehouse. Gussie Fink-Nottle's name amuses me when I read it, so I thought I'd give my blog a name that can make me smile, along with fitting in with the theme of nostalgia (forget me not flowers) and history that I like to incorporate in my work.

Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Beautifully Chaotic